This is an antique yellow gold watch chain in 10 kt gold. Not every watch chain is a good candidate for a necklace, but this one is perfect.
The gleaming old gold and the delicate links really caught our eye. We carefully select the antique watch chains that we choose for our collection. We look for ones from the 19th or very early 20th century in precious metals: yellow gold, rose gold, or sterling silver. The length, the condition, and overall wearability are also taken into consideration.
Paperclip chains are very popular right now. This chain is the original version! It currently measures 16", but you can extend it 1/2 inch by adding our carabiner jewelry lock charm holder in small or add an extra inch by adding our carabiner jewelry lock charm holder in medium.
While doing research on watch chains we discovered that the jewelry trend of wearing a watch chain as a necklace is not new. When soldiers left home for the battlefields of WWI, they left their pocket watches and watch chains behind with their girlfriends and wives. Women would wear them around their necks to keep them safe and close to the heart. Pocket watches began to fade from use as wrist watches, more practical in the trenches, became the standard.
Dimensions & Details
- The chain measures 16 inches.
- The link measures just over 1/2 inch (15 mm) by .1 inch (2.7 mm).
- 7.3 grams.
- 10K acid tested (chain, watch clip, bolt ring).
- Most likely U.S.
Period & Hallmarks
- Late 19th c. / early 20th c.
- It is in very good antique condition. There are signs of wear and use commensurate with age. The links are in solid condition. The dog clip and bolt ring both open and close securely (please note this is a fixed clip and does not swivel).
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.