From Limoges, France, this is a beautiful three piece tea set by the maker J. Pouyat (porcelain) in the Athena pattern: Tea pot, sugar bowl, cream pitcher.
Although the is set is somewhere between 85 and 106 years, the pattern is timeless and the white and gold goes with everything. The quality of of porcelain from Limoges during this time period is world renowned.
The Athena set is hand-painted, decorated with a simple gold & black Greek Key pattern and gold stripes. Both the sugar bowl and tea pot are topped with beautiful gold finials.
Dimensions & Details
- Limoges Porcelain.
- White: Hand-painted with gold and small touches of black.
- Teapot: Approximately 5 1/2 W or (8 3/4 spout to handle) x 3 1/2 H (not including finial).
- Sugar bowl: Approximately 4 1/2 inches W (not including handles) by 3 3/4 inches H (not including finial).
- Cream Pitcher: Approximately 3 1/2 inches (not including the handle) 4 inches H (at its tallest point).
- Limoges, France.
Period & Hallmarks
- Late 19th c./early 20th c. (circa 1891 to 1932) based upon the marks. 'J.P.' over an 'L’. J Pouyat Limoges' inside a wreath. Athena, Thé.
- This set is in good condition. General light wear and light use. No chips, cracks, or defects.
More About Limoges Porcelain & J. Pouyat's Limoges
Limoges is a city in central/southwest France known for enamel, oak barrels, and porcelain. The Porcelain Industry began to develop around Limoges when deposits of the mineral Kaolinite (from which porcelain is made) were discovered in the 18th c. Antique Limoges Porcelain is considered the finest hard paste porcelain in the world because of few key properties: natural local ingredients, its translucence, and the skilled artists who flocked to this area hand-painting the porcelain and creating a standard that others tried to emulate.
Jean Payout joined his uncle, Francois Payout's porcelain company in 1842. Francois was one of the first porcelain manufactures, establishing the original business in the 1700's. He died soon after, and his sons and descendants ran the company until 1911, when William Guerin, purchased the Factory. The JPL marks continued to be used until 1919 when the company was purchased by Dawo & Dotter. The Company closed in 1932.