Birks Sterling Silver Ring Box
This is a lovely vintage Birks sterling silver ring box in a rectangular, cushion shape. The inside ring pad is lined in a black velvet. The inside silk lining is almost as pretty as the gleaming silver on the outside. The cream silk is imprinted in black with the name of the the retailer & maker: Henry Birks & Sons Limited and a part of the Royal Warrant.
It is monogram free allowing room for an initial, monogram or cipher of your own. Use it as an engagement ring box (a lovely keepsake and a family heirloom to be) or keep it on your bedside table to display and store any of your favorite rings.
From the late 1800's into the mid of the 20th century, when an engagement ring was purchased at a luxury jewelry store like Tiffany, Birks and others, a sterling silver engagement ring box was included. These petite silver treasures came in many shapes and sizes: rectangles, squares, rounds, ovals, hexagons and hearts.
Dimensions & Details
- The box is sterling silver.
- The outside dimensions are: width, approximately1 1/2 inches, depth approximately 1.7 inches inches, and height, a little under 1.25 inches.
Period & Hallmarks
- Vintage. Late Art Deco, based upon the style and our research.
- Stamped Sterling and Birks, on the bottom of the box hence the scratches in the pictures.
- Both the outside and inside are in good condition. It is vintage and has surface scratches (visible through magnification) that one would expect to see on a piece of this age.
- The inside ring pad is black velvet. Some age discoloring to cream lining, but in very good condition for its age.
- The hinge is also in good condition. The top and bottom align well. The box closes tightly and securely. There are a couple of small pin prick dings that are not obvious and are hard to see.
If you are interested in reading more about the jewelry terms or decorative periods referenced throughout our site, visit our Resources section for additional information.
Find out how to care for your collection of antique and modern jewels: visit our Jewelry Care page to get advice on maintaining and storing your treasured pieces.
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.