Vintage: Art Deco Period Sterling Silver Ring Box
This is a lovely vintage Birks sterling silver ring box in a rectangular, cushion shape. The inside ring pad is lined in a black velvet. The inside silk lining is almost as pretty as the gleaming silver on the outside. The cream silk is imprinted in black with the name of the the retailer & maker Ryrie-Birks Limited Canada, and a coat of arms. The shield contains the initials RB and it is topped with a lion as its crest.
It can be used as an engagement ring presentation box, a keepsake to be handed down to the next generation. Or, add this beauty to your bedside table and use it to display and store a favorite ring.
From the late 1800's into the mid 20th century, when an engagement ring was purchased at a luxury jewelry store like Tiffany, Birks and others, a sterling silver ring box was included. These petite silver treasures came in many shapes and sizes: rectangles, squares, rounds, ovals, hexagons and hearts.
Dimensions & Details
- The box is sterling silver.
- The outside dimensions are: length 1.7 inches and width, 1 1/2 inches, and height, 1 3 inches inches.
- Internal width of ring pad approximately 1.1 inches. Internal height approximately 1 inch.
Period & Hallmarks
- Art Deco, based upon the style, our research (read our blog on the history of Birks & Ryrie Bros, circa 1920-1940).
- Stamped Sterling and Birks on the bottom of the box.
- Overall the ring box is in good vintage condition. There are a few minor imperfections that you would expect to see in a piece of this age. None take away from its aesthetics, but we do try to provide a complete description. The outside is in good condition. It is vintage and has surface scratches (visible through magnification) and one or two pin-prick sized dints and a slight split in the edge of the box, right side front (not a structural issue). The velvet pad is worn. The top, lined with cream silk is in good vintage condition.
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.
There are no reviews yet.Leave a Review