Antique: Victorian Ruby and Diamond Horseshoe Ring in 18 ct Gold, Hallmarked
This is a delicate antique ring in the shape of a horseshoe set with vibrant red rubies and sparkling old mine cut diamonds in 18 ct gold, 1885.
Dimensions & Details
- The rubies are a nice saturated red-pink. The diamonds are mine cut. The ring is 18 ct gold.
- It is a U.S. size 6 or a UK size L 1/2. It is possible for this to be sized up or down.
Period & Hallmarks
- Hallmarks for Birmingham, 18 ct gold, and 1885 (the date letter is difficult to read but has been verified by the UK Assay office In Birmingham, England).
- Maker's mark: S. Blanckensse & Son.
- The ring is in very good antique condition. There are some micro surface scratches that one would expect to see in a piece of this age, but they are not eye visible (visible only through magnification). There is no evidence of previous sizing, chips to the stones, or other condition issues of note.
Symbolism: The Horseshoe and the Ruby
Our favorite finds are tokens of luck, love, or those that seem to have a story to their past. The horseshoe is a symbol of both luck and love. It was given to couples as a wedding gift to wish them luck in love.
Horseshoes also became more popular around this period of time (1880-1920) as more women took up recreational sports such as tennis, skiing and riding. Riding crops, horseshoes, and the bridle bit became fashion statements.
The Ruby itself symbolized the protection of love, new love, and of course passion. This ring would make a great right hand ring, engagement ring, or stacking ring (wear it with micropave diamond and/or ruby eternity rings).
If you are interested in reading more about the jewelry terms or decorative periods referenced throughout our site, visit our Resources section for additional information.
Find out how to care for your collection of antique and modern jewels: visit our Jewelry Care page to get advice on maintaining and storing your treasured pieces.
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.
There are no reviews yet.Leave a Review