This is a beautifully unique Victorian, 15 ct gold ( with English Hallmarks), diamond and pearl bar brooch which we have converted to a pendant. Designed as a belt buckle, it has the kind of details that you would expect in a well-made antique piece: tiny gold grommets around the belt holes, a hand carved star with an old-cut diamond at the center, a seed pearl buckle, and a bead and rope-twist surround.
There is a glazed compartment on the reverse side. Consider tucking away a tiny secret message, or a snippet of blue ribbon ("something blue"). We would pair this with a long delicate chain.
Victorian life was filled with symbolism and jewelry was no exception. A buckle symbolized fidelity in love or loyalty in friendship, by the joining of the two pieces together. A great purchase for yourself or as a gift on the occasion of a marriage or anniversary.
Dimensions & Details
- The pendant is 1.6 inches/ 41 mm long (not including the bail) and a little over .4 inches/ 11 mm wide.
- The pin is comprised of 15 ct gold, seed pearls and an old cut diamond.
Period & Hallmarks
- Late Victorian.
- English Hallmarks for Birmingham, 15 ct gold and 1897.
- It is in good condition. It has a small dent on the bottom edge that is not visible when worn. We have removed the pin fittings so that it will lay flat when worn as a pendant. It already had a small loop horizontally. We added a bail at the top.
- The glazed panel in the black (the glass inside the frame covering the compartment on the reverse side) was chipped, as such we decided to replace it.
If you are interested in reading more about the jewelry terms or decorative periods referenced throughout our site, visit our Resources section for additional information.
Find out how to care for your collection of antique and modern jewels: visit our Jewelry Care page to get advice on maintaining and storing your treasured pieces.
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.