Lucky us and possibly lucky you! Three Georgian Period, black enamel and 18 ct gold mourning rings have come in from a Massachusetts estate just outside Boston. All have been in the same family since they were originally gifted.
Georgian mourning rings have a stylish, timeless quality. The contrast between the gold and the black enamel is beautiful and compliments everything. While officially "mourning rings", they are the epitome of sentimental or love tokens. Rings were provided via one's estate. The ring or rings were to be given to those close to the departed, so that they might be able to have a token to keep their loved one close to them always.
The outside of the ring reads: Daniel Wolfe (Wolff) Ob:27 Apr:1804 AE:52. The alternating black and gold stripes are both elegant and cool and the same time.
Dimensions & Details: Mourning Ring
- The ring is black enamel over 18 ct gold (acid tested).
- The ring is a U.S. size 6 1/4 leading edge and a UK size M.
- Due to the pattern and enamel, this ring cannot be sized. If you have any questions on size, please contact us for assistance.
Period & Hallmarks
- Georgian (George III). Hallmarked for London, Date Mark H for 1803, with Duty Mark.
- Maker's mark: I.P.
- The ring is in good to very good condition. Eye visible: Very good condition with no visible defects. With magnification via loupe: surface wear, surface scratches, minuscule chips. Again, none of this is eye visible and can only be seen via a 10 x magnification so you can imagine how minor the wear is. It can be seen in the photographs via the magnification of the lens.
Find out how to care for your collection of antique and modern jewels: visit our Jewelry Care page to get advice on maintaining and storing your treasured pieces. One should always be gentle and take extra precautions when cleaning antique jewelry, especially enamel. Enamel can scratch and chip. Use a soft damp cloth without any chemicals to clean away any surface dirt.
If you are interested in reading more about the jewelry terms or decorative periods referenced throughout our site, visit our Resources section for additional information.
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.