This is a beautiful illustration of our antique and modern philosophy: a 19th century rose gold locket in the shape of a shield combined with a double strand of new and lustrous cultured freshwater pearls. This is a great piece for someone who covets antique rose gold.
The clasp at the back (fashioned from two antique rose gold dog clips/swivel clasps) and the T-bar, came from the same antique Albert watch chain. A modern rose gold bar (created for this piece) joins the two strands together. We love the luster of the pale pink pearls paired with the warm patina of old rose gold.
Dimensions & Details: Pearl and Gold Locket Necklace
- The total length of necklace is approximately 17.5 inches. The locket adds another 1 1/4 of an inch.
- The cultured freshwater pearls range from 3.7 mm to 7.4 mm in diameter and are knotted and strung on pale pink silk.
- The locket is 1 ¼ inch in height and just under 1 inch in width.
- Locket: England.
Period & Hallmarks
- 19th century (locket, T-bar and swivel clips).
- The dog clips and T-bar are 9ct gold and the dog clips are stamped 9ct. The bar that joins the pearls together is 14ct gold.
- The locket is stamped "9ct front and back" which means the gold is wrapped around a harder metal core to provide structure and strength.
- The antique components of this piece are in very good antique condition. There are signs of wear and use commensurate with age (very minor surface scratches which are difficult to detect without magnification). The pearls are new, knotted and strung on pink silk. The 14ct rose gold bar is new, crafted for this piece.
If you are interested in reading more about the jewelry terms or decorative periods referenced throughout our site, visit our Resources section for additional information.
Find out how to care for your collection of antique and modern jewels: visit our Jewelry Care page to get advice on maintaining and storing your treasured pieces.