This is an Antique French Long chain, also called a Guard Chain. At 58 inches in can be worn multiple ways: as a single, double or even tripled (as pictured). It has an unusual link pattern: trombone link in multiple patterns interspersed with smaller rounds. It can be worn by itself, or with your favorite pendant/locket/fob medals etc. via the bolt ring that is part of the chain. We are showing it with a heart shaped Vinaigrette.
Dimensions & Details: Antique Silver Guard Chain
- The chain is sterling silver and 58 inches in length. It can be doubled or tripled.
- The larger links are .8 inches. length by .1 inches in width.
- Thought to be French.
Period & Hallmarks
- Late 19th c./early 20th c.
- Possibly french boar's head on ring above bolt ring, too worn to clearly discern.
- The chain is in good antique condition. A few links have minor bends.
If you are interested in reading more about the jewelry terms or decorative periods referenced throughout the site, visit our Resources section for additional information.
Find out how to care for your collection of antique and modern jewels: visit our Jewelry Care page to get advice on maintaining and storing your treasured pieces.