Antique: Sterling Silver Victorian Buckle Bangle
There is nothing quite like the inviting glow of antique silver. This antique buckle bangle was crafted from .925 sterling more than 130 years ago. It is the latest addition to our collection of Victorian silver bangle bracelets from England. It is hallmarked for sterling silver, Chester, and 1882.
This buckle bangle, while full of romantic sentiment, has a modern look, with a clean silhouette and plenty of gleaming metal. It is in good antique condition with a secure tongue and groove closure.
Hidden Messages: The Victorian Period was full of symbols and this beautiful bracelet is no exception. The buckle itself was a symbol of loyalty, friendship and/or love. Adding to that is the ivy leaf pattern engraved on the front half of the bangle.
Plants and flowers were a large part of this period's non-verbal system of communication. Many books have been written on the topic. One of the more popular versions the Language of Flowers continues to be reprinted today. Full of romantic sentiment, the ivy vine conveys the message: I Cling to Thee.
Messages and thoughts communicated through the gifting of actual flowers, plants, and trees or decorative objects decorated with these symbols, continued to be popular throughout the 19th century and into the early 20th.
Dimensions & Details
- The bangle is sterling silver.
- It is approximately 1.2 inches tall/wide with an inside diameter of 2 inches and should fit a wrist of up to 6 1/4 inches in circumference.
Period & Hallmarks
- English hallmarks for sterling silver, Chester, the date mark is worn but appears to be fore 1882. Maker's Mark: JF.
- It is in good antique condition. There are signs of wear and use commensurate with age. There are some small scratches in general and a few very shallow dent/dings on the back half of the bracelet, which are not very noticeable (see images). One small pin point ding to the face of the buckle.
- The push-tab, tongue and groove closure snaps closed securely.
If you are interested in reading more about the jewelry terms or decorative periods referenced throughout our site, visit our Resources section for additional information.
Find out how to care for your collection of antique and modern jewels: visit our Jewelry Care page to get advice on maintaining and storing your treasured pieces.
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.
There are no reviews yet.Leave a Review