This antique extending propelling pencil in 9ct yellow gold, is a one of our favorite statement pendants. The engine turning (the geometric pattern engraved pattern) is beautifully executed and it creates a sparkle when it moves and catches the light.
In its closed position, it makes a beautiful pendant! Wear it at the end of a watch chain or long guard chain. Hang it from a swivel clip or other large gold charm holder with a mix of other charms and pendants.
The little details add to its allure. When open or extend it, you can see a tiny hand-engraved arrow. It's the perfect place to add a few hearts, a date, initials, or a secret message that shows only when opened. It would make a great gift for an artist who likes to sketch at a moment's notice, or anyone who loves the mystery of a piece of jewelry with hidden function.
Why this makes an amazing pendant? The length and diameter are a nice size for a pendant. The bail or gold jump ring is at the top and not awkwardly at the side. The pencils that are propelling and retracting (slide back to become a small cylinder) make the best pendants. The long ones that don't retract are a little too long and look like, well, you have a pen or pencil hanging from a chain.
We have researched and found a company that sells lead for antique and vintage pencils and will include a lot of these special leads.
Dimensions & Details:
- The length of the pencil when closed is: 18 inches or 46mm. The length of the pencil when extended or open is: 2.7 inches or 70mm. The diameter is 1/4 inch or 6.7mm.
- The pencil is 9 ct gold (tested).
- The pencil pendant has a nice weight and feel to it at 9.1 grams.
Period & Hallmarks
- 19th c. No hallmarks.
- 9 ct. (tested).
- Marked "M" on barrel which indicates the size of the lead.
- The pencil opens and closes securely.
- The pencil pendant is in good antique condition, with general wear and surface scratches that one would expect in a piece of this age.
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.