Antique: Banded Agate Spherical Drop Earrings with Gold Fittings
While these Victorian earrings are from a different era, the design is timeless. These triple sphere earrings are made of banded agate from the 19th c. What makes these more interesting is that they are not simply black with a single stripe of white. There are multiple concentric stripes of blacks and white with some stripes in shades of chocolate and espresso, like small orbiting planets. There is a consistency is size and shape, but each sphere has a slightly different pattern giving this pair a unique look.
During the Victorian period, black (outside of mourning) was considered fashionable and often worn in the evening. Still fashionable, it's hard not to covet these earrings, especially when combined with stripes of white and antique gold.
Dimensions & Details:
- The earrings are approximately 46-47mm or in 1.7 to 1.8 inches in length (from the top of the wire to the bottom of the earring).
- The diameter of the largest spheres are approximately 15 to 16 mm and the diameter of the smallest spheres are approximately 8 to 9 mm.
- Each weighs approximately 8 grams, so they should be a comfortable weight for most wearers.
- The gold tests around 14 Ct.
- Purchased in England and most likely England or Scotland in origin.
Period & Hallmarks
- Thought to be 19th c. No hallmarks.
- The earrings are in good antique condition, with general wear, that one would expect in a piece of this age. The agates are nicely polished and have retained their shine. Please keep in mind however that this item was crafted by hand and is made of natural materials. As such, there are some minor irregularities.
- The gold discs are not perfectly round. The gold cap on the earring shown on the ear in one of the images is slightly off-center, but as you can see it does not impact the way the earring hangs.
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.
There are no reviews yet.Leave a Review