This is an antique book chain necklace in 14 Kt. gold. The links alternate between a simple link and a more detailed link.
It can be worn with the bolt ring in back, or in front as they would have in the 19th c. with a locket or a pendant hanging from the bolt ring.
The rich and buttery patina is why we love antique gold chains. Unlike modern gold, antique gold was often alloyed by the jeweler which means there is a greater range of color. As time goes on, the patina develops further adding to the color. The color reads a warm yellow gold.
Dimensions & Details
- The chain is 14 kt gold (acid tested).
- The chain is 19 1/2 inches long and a little over 1/4 inch or 6.7mm wide.
- The necklace weighs 17.3 grams.
- Unknown. Most likely U.S.
Period & Hallmarks
- Late 19th c.
- It is in good antique condition. There are signs of wear and use commensurate with age. The bolt ring opens and closes securely.
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.
If you are interested in reading more about the jewelry terms or decorative periods referenced throughout our site, visit our Resources section for additional information.
Find out how to care for your collection of antique and modern jewels: visit our Jewelry Care page to get advice on maintaining and storing your treasured pieces.