Antique: Ruby, Diamond, Platinum & Gold Riding Crop Brooch
Rendered in 18 Ct gold and platinum, this equestrian themed brooch is in the form of a riding crop brooch. Circa 1900, it's set with a beautiful line of uninterrupted sparking rubies (channel set) and topped with an Old Mine Cut diamond set in platinum. The flashes of red and hot pink make it a standout against a black blazer or black dress.
During the 19th and early 20th centuries, hunting was known as the sport of kings and this extended to the landed aristocracy. Equestrian themed sports were at the center of the fall and winter social season and generated all sorts of social events.
During the hunting season, lunches, dinners, and balls all required a specific dress and accessories. This, in part, drove the appetite for equestrian themed jewelry.
If you are interested in reading more about the jewelry terms or decorative periods referenced throughout our site, visit our Resources section for additional information.
Find out how to care for your collection of antique and modern jewels: visit our Jewelry Care page to get advice on maintaining and storing your treasured pieces.
Dimensions & Details
- The brooch is 2 inches or 53 mm length and ranges in 10 mm at its widest point, to 2 mm at its most narrow.
- The metal is 18 Ct gold (tested) and platinum set with channel set rubies and an old mine cut diamond.
- Most likely U.S. or England.
Period & Hallmarks
- Edwardian circa 1900/1910.
- The brooch is in very good antique condition. There are some surface scratches and a very minor nibble to edge of diamond. Both are only visible through careful examination under magnification. The rubies have no chips and the brooch catch opens and closed properly and securely.
Outside of the U.S.? Please contact us for a shipping quote.
There are no reviews yet.Leave a Review